Multiple companies worldwide make effort in launching products fast to become the first one in the market and use strategic roadmap to achieve this
Roadmaps are used to monitor a project’s progress. This type of map is used in software development, providing more control when it comes to how the project is running and making it easier to schedule delivery times. They are an essential part of planning a project; without it, we would lack direction and we would not know if that is where we want to head to.
If you are managing a project, you are in front of business, you must know what a roadmap is, how to make one and how to use them to be a successful leader.
What is a roadmap?
Globally speaking, a roadmap is a timeline that shows everything since the beginning of a project up to the most recent objective set. It is an extensive list of all the actions to develop in the medium and long term to optimally achieve a goal. It acts as a strategic road that describes the potential development of a product during a period of time. It includes all necessary steps to get to the desired outcome. It can also be used as a communication tool that structures the strategic thinking behind the goal and the plan to achieve it.
Why build a strategic roadmap?
Having a roadmap allows companies to:
- Organize people to reach the same goal.
- Having a guide that provides aid when acting.
- Sort and distribute tasks efficiently.
- Solve problems/mitigate risks.
- Make decisions both on a daily basis and when facing the unexpected.
- Getting the team to be motivated and confident.
- Improve communication.
- Facilitate the workflow.
- Improve the organization of processes and productivity.
How do you build a roadmap?
Now, we posess a general knowledge about what a roadmap is and why it is important to a company or organization. But, how can we build a roadmap?
First and foremost, we must make a sketch of a schedule to then put it in consideration of the people that are part of the team, so suggestions can arise. And second, to always be thoughtful of the final goals and/or what the client expects from the product in development. From there, you can proceed with the following steps:
- Discovery (Initial Diagnostic): You must study the scenario and analize the interior of the company. Market study is crucial. All the required information is collected and it is centered towards the details that are most important to the clients.
- Set objectives: Medium and long-term objectives must be set in accordance to their importance.
- User history mapping: you must know the expectations of a client. You must think like the user to collect all suggestions and get a graphic view of the desired product.
- Establish priorities and characteristics: after getting an overview, you must establish the priorities and define which characteristics the product will have on each stage, as well as which functions it fulfills on each period.
- List of projects and initiatives: each objective is provided with a list of activities, necessary to achieve them.
- Define the action plan: in this point it is detailed how the organization will carry out the work, this being the actions to be realized, appointing leaders and teams, establishing times, budgets and processes.
- Specify the monitoring indicators: this point is about defining how development will be evaluated. Indicators are established and the moments of monitoring as well.
- Modifying the roadmap: a roadmap is a flexible tool, so it is important to make changes according to the market and the client.
What is a Strategic Roadmap and what do they consist of?
There are different types of roadmaps. At OpenDev Pro, we work with Strategic Roadmaps. They are a guide that can help us achieve the established goals. Generally, they consist of five main elements:
- The objectives that mark the desired path.
- The threats and opportunities that justify the presence of the established objectives.
- The road to get to our goals, including the timing.
- The risks that you may face on the way and the plans to solve them.
- Estimation of the necessary resources.
If you wish to know or need any help, do not hesitate to contact our offices.