It is time for you to know the challenges of agile methodology and how to apply it correctly
Becoming an agile organization is quite challenging, as it comprises gradual, progressive group learning based on practical experimentation with little time, while also carrying getting results without losing control in leadership. It has a great impact on the traditional approach and it incorporates new ways of working on projects.
As of lately, Agile methodologies have appeared as a better or bigger answer compared to traditional ways of developing software. Years back, companies became more collaborative as knowledge has acquired more significant value. Amidst this accelerated world, there is a need for managers to have more flexibility on projects to adapt to the challenges and new circumstances that may appear.
Dedicated to constant improvement, Agile methodology can increase the success probabilities of your project. It goes beyond only being a methodology, it is more of a philosophy. Let us take a look at some information about this groundbreaking, popular methodology.
What is it about?
Agile methodologies are a group of methodologies that allow the working methods applied to adapt to the project’s current conditions, that require a special rapidity and flexibility. It uses short development cycles called “sprints” which focus on the constant improvement in the development of a product and/or service. Companies that can adapt to this type of methodology are able to manage their projects in a resilient, autonomous, efficient way reducing expenses and increasing productivity. As these sectors are constantly changing, organizations need to develop their services to be highly competitive.
This methodology comes to life as an upgrade compared to the traditional work methods, that were time consuming and affected the delivry of the final product.
Each project is realized through the collaboration of multidisciplinary, auto-organized teams where decision making is always shared.
Why Agile methodologies?
- The delivery is faster and the product has better quality. This method is efficient, generates less expenses and less worktime.
- Working in teams raises the workforce’s morale and their participation in projects. Self-managed workteams facilitate creative capacity and innovation of their members.
- Clients become more important, are listened to more and can adopt changes while the project lasts. The client is involved and enganged.
- It favours revision and cooperation of the members of the team. Their flexibility allows for the detection and solution of mistakes in a quicker, more direct way.
- Assigning resources better in a more dinamic way improves production according to the company’s priorities.
- Dividing the project in smaller parts, making them a priority in terms of importance.
- Agile methodology centers work on the client’s satisfaction, and proposes results that can become benefits.
- This methodology empowers those involved: it builds responsibility, there is a diversity in ideas and a sustained improvement.
- The used metrics to measure parameters like time, costs, performance, are more real from this methodology. Thanks to the division in small teams and stages, we can be more aware of what is going on.
- They encourage proactive approach of team members in the search of achieveing excelence with their product.
What are the methodologies our company works with?
At OpenDev Pro we work with Agile Scrum methodology and Kanban. The first one consists of a predefined, recurrent set of actions and processes used to shorten time spent on the development of a project, always with the best possible quality. We focus on iteration work, namely, carrying out tasks and closing sprints within an established time. The sustained improve will be of the processes and not of the project itself. All activities are carried out at the same pace. They are all part of a wider plan, divided in smaller segments.
Moreover, the Kanban methodology is an agile methodology, it manages a project in a general way, with multiple improvements in a continuous way, focusing on the state of the projects and not so much on the tasks or actions that will be executed.
The Scrum teams that use Kanban, like OpenDev Pro, as a visual management tool can make work to be delivered faster and with more frequency.
Can these two methodologies work together? The answer is yes, both can go along with the other. Kanban works really well when paired with Scrum or another agile methodology.
The challenges of Agile methodology
Agile methodology is the main current in these times. The success rate of a project when it adopts agile technology is high. Nevertheless, challenges can arise when implemented, for that we must take the following into consideration:
- Choosing the appropiate agile methodology: It is the first step in an agile software development project. This will determine wheter the project will go the right or wrong way. We must considerate the nature of the business, its features, advantages/disadvantages of the multiple agile approaches.
- Communication: Communication is one of the pillars for building good relationships between teams and agilize the process of a project. Team members must communicate efficiently for the project to bear fruit. This way, the company must provide adequate communication channels.
- The misadjustment of the organization culture and its people: It becomes hard to change the way people think and, as a consequence, act. In general, people fight against change so leading to the use of new methodologies signifies that they must admit they are doing something wrong or it just isn’t working, this being the reason change is so difficult when transitioning. It is always more comfortable for the most to keep going with the old methods and processes, but if they are clearly presented with the reason they need to adopt an agile methodology, it will al be smoother.
- Acceptance and alignment in all levels: all executives, middle managers and high directives must be informed that there will be changes, about the benefits of the soon-to-come transformation and the details of how it will affect the company. Also, they must comprehend what is expected of them.
- Adequate leaderships: With Agile methodology, you can have a multifunctional team, sparking the possibility of multiple leaders. For this reason, the principles of the agile management and the responsibilities must be clearly presented between leaders and teams, avoiding possible conflicts that may end in replacements. The Agile Manifesto highly encourages motivation, support and trust between the people involved in a project.
- Experience between team members: Each iteration is extended by a small duration of time, which requires an expert execution. It also requires adequate agile concepts between members. If an agile team lacks experience in a certain field, it may cause trouble regarding the estimated time.
At OpenDev Pro, we are passionate about business agility. We give our best in what we do to put what we preach into action. Even today, many companies are still being sluggish, bureaucratic and this generates discomfort in clients and employees. If these issues are commonly present, if you need more information or you are looking for that change your company desperately needs, contact us and we can help you solve it.